Friday 9 May 2014

Plovers



With a car at the garage it was time to use the bus and I chose Fornebu as my destination. I almost immediately had a feeling that it was going to be a good day when walking over a piece of waste ground and had three Golden (heilo) and two Ringed Plovers (sandlo). I then went searching (in vain) for Great Snipe (dobbeltbekkasin) in some rough grassland where I have had them in previous years and scared up a Jack Snipe (kvartbekkasin) – things felt good....

However it didn’t continue at the same tempo and although I did have good birds like Redstart (rødstjert), Water Rail (vannrikse) and a few tringa waders it wasn’t as good as I hoped. Today there was high cloud cover and occasional sunshine which did cause an increase in bird activity and song – I had Willow Warbler (løvsanger), Blackcap (munk) and Lesser Whitethroat (møller) singing close to the house in the morning – but the raptor movement that I had hoped might occur after a period of eminently raptor unfriendly weather didn’t happen.

There were lots of Wheatears (steinskvett) at Fornebu today but I couldn’t find a single one with such a broad tail band as yesterdays strange bird – I have a nagging doubt about it.....

Jarl Nystrøm rang me today to say that Svellet has even more waders than yesterday – 31 Dunlin (myrsnipe) and at least 600 Greenshank (gluttsnipe) – so I can’t wait for my next chance to visit.

this Little Ringed Plover (dverglo) was quite photogenic



One of my better quality videos although the bird doesn't do so much



the most trusting of three Golden Plover (heilo) resting on waste ground at Fornebu



Golden and Ringed Plover

all three Golden Plovers

Two each of Golden and Ringed

male Redstart

singing Twite (bergirisk) at Fornebu

female Wheatear (steinskvett) - showing much thinner terminal tail bar than yesterdays dodgy wheatear

Add caption

No comments:

Post a Comment