Wednesday 27 July 2016

Little Egret

Little Egret (silkehegre)  Fornebu

A sure sign that the summer holidays are good is that I have been offline and not updated the blog. I have lots of photos and video from the cabin to go through and which will end up on the blog one day but now we are back in the south again. A day at home before further travels allowed me to see a Little Egret at Fornebu. This was an Akershus tick for me and I felt lucky to get this one because whilst I have been away there have been four Akershus ticks on offer and all of them national rarities. July is normally considered a very quiet month but not this year with Terek Sandpiper, Caspian Tern, White Stork and the Egret all being available and widely twitched by those still in town.

Little Egret is still a rare bird in Norway despite its abundance now in the UK although this year has seen a number of records and it may soon become a regular species here. This is my second Norwegian record after I bumped into one near Bergen in 1998 whilst visiting the prospective Mrs OsloBirder who was studying there whilst I was still working in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment